The Boys’ Brigade was founded on 4 Oct 1883 by Sir William Alexander Smith in Glasgow, Scotland. It has the distinction of being the first movement for Boys and has grown into a worldwide movement.
The first Boys’ Brigade Company started in Singapore on 12 Jan 1930 at Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church. The first Captain was Mr J. M. Fraser.
The 42J Boys’ Brigade company started in Nanyang Primary School in 1988. The first Captain was Mr Victor Chew Yew Meng.
Adam Road Presbyterian Church, the daughter church of Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church became the sponsoring church of Nanyang Primary School Boys’ Brigade in May 2004.
The current key appointment holders are:
- Captain: Mr Horace Gay
- Company OC: Mr Nicholas Koo
- Teachers in Charge: Ms Mae Yang, Mr Liew Chai Long, Ms Lee Nian Tjie
- Company Chaplain: Pastor Joe Heng
The activities are conducted by a group of volunteers together with the teachers-in-charge. Most of the volunteers in the company are from the sponsoring church Adam Road Presbyterian Church, with a couple from other churches and some Alumni of 42J.